0% Tags: 22nd Street fire • Business • housing Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% So far, the mayor’s office has not responded to requests for comment. Up until now, Moz, her mother, and her two aunts have lived together in a three-bedroom apartment in the Mission District. The collapse of a family business coupled with an eviction from their home combined to spell disaster for the family.It wasn’t a disaster of their own making. Moz’ aunt, Hilda, operated Nature’s Sunshine, a natural healthcare business at Mission and 22nd streets until January 28, 2015 when a fire destroyed the building, killing one man, displacing dozens of residents and business owners. That loss meant a precipitous drop in the family’s income. Moz, who looks after her mother, earns a meager $500 a month for the in-home care she provides and the three seniors together receive about $1,800 a month in Social Security benefits. Their rent for the Mission three-bedroom is $1,200 a month. But last year, Moz’s landlord filed an eviction. To get any relocation money, the family must be out of the apartment by the end of the month. They will not even have one last Christmas together in their home, said Moz. Instead, they are already moving out, packing their belongings to store with friends. For the immediate future they will be able to stay with a friend, but it is a crowded – and therefore temporary – situation. “We don’t have any place to go,” said Moz. “I’m looking for apartments on the internet, but everything is either already rented or really expensive. It’s very expensive in San Francisco.”Moz hasn’t just been looking on the internet, however. With the help of the Mission Economic Development Agency and the Q Foundation, she has been applying to every below-market-rate housing opportunity she can find. She even secured a certificate of preference that gives them priority over other applicants. But without the business, the family’s income is actually too low to qualify for many “affordable” housing units that would accommodate them. Though they won a placement for unit on Potrero Avenue, they cannot accept it because they don’t have the income.Enter the Q Foundation, which runs a housing subsidy program for senior and disabled San Franciscans. Brian Basinger, the executive director there, hoped the subsidy of $500 a month would allow the family to accept the housing placement they were offered and move in. But with a restructuring of the city budget, Basinger said, those subsidies were not funded and the family is out of luck.“It looks like they have officially lost it. I don’t know if there’s any Hail Mary,” Basinger said. An expansion of the subsidy program was expected from the November ballot Proposition K, which was a proposed sales tax increase. But it failed to pass. As a result, the additional subsidy money for those on the verge of homelessness, some $3.1 million, ended up on the chopping block, according to Basinger. But the subsidies, he said, would have really worked.“This is something that the solution is super super simple, it’s not rocket science,” he said. “You throw money at it. Just throw money into these subsidies, and guess what? People aren’t homeless.”With $500 a month from the city, Basinger said, Moz and her mother and aunts would have been able to live in the apartment they had qualified for. Without it, their options are essentially to couch surf as a family with three elderly women or to cram into an SRO room.MEDA’s Juan Diego Castro, who has been helping the women with the technical aspects of applying for housing, said they will continue to apply for housing placements and try to find solutions in San Francisco.“We’re kind of facing the reality that the only option for them to stay in San Francisco might be a short term hotel,” Castro said. “Outside of San Francisco is obviously not ideal…This is where their faith community is, where their medical support system is, they’ve lived here for 25 years.” A group of women who have lived in San Francisco for 27 years are on the brink of homelessness just before the holidays, even after winning a coveted spot in an affordable housing unit. As it turns out, they earn too little and a city subsidy that might have helped didn’t make it into the budget. The two non-profits working with the women are still hoping to get Mayor Lee to allocate the funding that would keep Lorena Moz and her family – as well as 13 others who have recently come to one of the non-profits for similar aid – off the streets.Moz, the youngest of the women, said her aunt is already beginning to despair after a string of disappointments, but she herself is still holding on to hope. “I have faith in God that something will work out,” she said.
FIVE Saints have been selected in the provisional 30-man Exiles squad that will take on England this summer.Anthony Laffranchi, Francis Meli, Lance Hohaia, Sia Soliola and Tony Puletua have all been named by coach Daniel Anderson.The first game will be at Langtree Park on Saturday June 16 with the second taking place at the Galpharm Stadium on Wednesday July 4.Exiles squad: Anthony Laffranchi, Francis Meli, Lance Hohaia, Tony Puletua, Sia Soliola (all St Helens), Antonio Kaufusi, Michael Robertson (both London Broncos), Brett Delaney (Leeds), Brett Finch, George Carmont, Thomas Leuluai, Jeff Lima, Pat Richards (all Wigan), Brett Hodgson (capt), Trent Waterhouse, Joel Monaghan, Michael Monaghan (all Warrington), Clint Greenshields, Lopini Paea, Louis Anderson, Darryl Millard, Scott Dureau, Setaimata Sa (all Catalan Dragons), David Fa’aologo, Jason Chan, Luke O’Donnell (all Huddersfield), Heath L’Estrange (Bradford), Jake Webster (Hull KR), Joel Moon (Salford), Willie Manu (Hull FC).Tickets for the game at Langtree are now on sale and are now priced from £9 for concession and £18 for adults.England Knights will play Ireland before the main event.They can be purchased through the Ticket Office at Langtree Park, by calling 01744 455 052 or by clicking here.
WITH wounds licked and video reviews undertaken, Tuesday was a fresh start with the squad taking the next step in learning the lessons of the match with St George, writes Neil Kilshaw.We were the fortunate guests of Peter Berbakov and the Sydney Swans (AFL) at the SCG and with an early 7am start, we found ourselves undertaking some ball handling, kicking and catching sessions – coaches included!The Swans are a leading name in the sporting world for their culture and ruthless approach to success and our visit enabled the coaches and players to experience some fresh ideas towards handling, kicking and catching.As usual, the coaches’ competitive streaks kicked in with Martyn, Talbot and myself revelling in the kicking practice!After the session, the squad toured the excellent SCG facilities and heard how the Swans have gained success through developing a strong player driven culture, which has developed over the last 11 years.As ever the kids’ questions never let us down!Olly Davies was amongst a crowd of confused faces over the Swans’ altitude chamber.Egged on by his mates, who desperately didn’t want to ask just in case, Olly asked, whilst looking at the scenic ocean view: “Is Sydney at altitude or sea level?”Not content with Mully’s response and description about the high belts of South Africa he continued by enquiring if the Lake District was at altitude…To finish the day the lads had their final training session before Game Two with Central Coast on Wednesday evening.They did well and are determined to show their true ability and put to rest some frustrations from St George.The match will kick off at 6.30pm local time (8.30am British time) at Wyong Leagues Club.To find out more on the Academy Tour, click here.
Home where mother shot teen son, then killed herself (Photo: Kirsten Gutierrez) PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — When a Pender County mother shot her teenage son and then herself, there was someone else home at the time, according to a call made to 911.On Thursday night, Jennifer Craig allegedly shot her 14-year-old son in the head just before midnight on Thursday, then turned the gun on herself. It happened on Lake Road in Willard.- Advertisement – In a call made to 911, a man says he was there visiting his girlfriend and there’s blood coming out from underneath the door.“Bloods coming out from under what door?” the operator asks multiple times before the man responds.“The bedroom that they were sleeping in,” he said.Related Article: NC man allegedly beat puppy to death with shovel“Baby, get up off the floor,” he’s then overhead telling an unidentified person.The operator asks what’s going on.“We just got home, her dad’s disabled and he said there’s a problem. There’s blood under the door. I kicked the door in, she’s laying in front of the door, they were already out here about a gun earlier…I don’t know what happened with the deputies that were out here.”The operators asks where her father is, when the phone is handed off to another man.“Can you give me anymore information?” the operator asks.“I was laying in the living room on the couch and I heard two loud pops … and I called out to who was supposed to be here. They didn’t answer and they… I couldn’t get in the door and as I was looking at the door there’s blood just running out,” the man said.“Do you think someone shot themselves?”“Yes ma’am, I do.”When the operator asks who shot themselves, the man says Jennifer Craig. He tells the operator they can’t get close enough to her tell how she is or if she’s breathing because she’s lying in front of the door.There’s crying in the background, and when the operator asks who that is, the man tells her it’s her (Jennifer’s ) sister.Jennifer Craig was pronounced dead at the scene.Her son, a Pender High student, was removed from life support on Saturday.Deputies are investigating it as a murder-suicide.We reached out to the Pender County Sheriff’s Office about the earlier call concerning a gun the man referenced to the 911 operator. We are waiting to hear back.According to a GoFundMe page, the teen’s organs were donated to seven organ recipients.
Surf City bridge construction in snow January 2018 (Photo: Jeff Wenzel) SURF CITY, NC (WWAY) — The new Surf City high rise bridge could be done sooner than expected.Because of a new incentive for contractors, it is possible drivers could be using the bridge by the holidays this year.- Advertisement – According to a spokesman with the North Carolina Department of Transportation, the DOT has increased an incentive for the contractor to complete the project up to 300 days ahead of schedule.From the beginning, the contract for this project has included a $10,000 incentive or disincentive provision regarding the completion and placement of traffic on the new bridge. The completion date for this provision is September 25, 2019. For every day prior to September 25, 2019, the contractor will receive a $10,000 per calendar day incentive, up to a maximum of $1,000,000 or 100 days.The DOT said they just raised the maximum for the incentive from $1,000,000 to $3,000,000 or 300 days.Related Article: Surf City will not resume dune restoration until NovemberThe spokesman said the contractor has demonstrated that it is feasible to complete the bridge and open it to traffic sooner than the original contract limitations, at a financial cost, and the department was in agreement to increase the incentive opportunity for the contractor to do so.
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — President Trump was in Charlotte Friday, talking retirement and signing an executive order that will affect small businesses in our area.“The greatest opportunity here is that it would help to level the playing field,” said Jerry Coleman, Director of the Small Business Center at Cape Fear Community College.- Advertisement – Coleman knows how exciting it can be to start a small business. With more than 20 years experience running a business under his belt, he now uses his talents to help others.“I got the best job at the Community College. I get to sit here every day and help people realize their dream of starting their own business,” said Coleman.But Coleman knows it isn’t all easy. He says 85 percent of small businesses in our state have fewer than five employees, and this makes it difficult to provide workers with certain benefits.Related Article: Man banned from Disney World after waving pro-Trump banner on rides“As it relates to retirement planning and those sort of things, generally I would say that small businesses of that size do not offer that type of resource,” said Coleman.Hunter Ford owns two businesses in Wilmington and is starting another.He says employees of his new company will be harder to find than the college students that work at his other businesses.“I have developed a liquor company that will need territory managers, I’ll need to expand, and I’ll need to recruit a higher quality candidate,” said Ford.An executive order signed by President Trump could make that a little easier.The order will allow small businesses to join together and offer association retirement plans.“It’s a great opportunity for an emerging business like mine to be able to afford to attract more reliable candidates and better personnel to expand as a businessman and to expand and grow into different markets because ultimately that’s what we need,” said Ford.The Trump Administration says about one-third of all private-sector workers do not have access to workplace retirement plans.
The Wilmington Police Department is accepting applications for their third annual Port City Super Girls academy.The WPD created Port City Super Girls in 2016 as a community outreach and gang prevention program. Officials said young women are often used by gang leaders to help carry out illegal activities. The Port City Super Girls Academy is a four day created for 100 girls 12 to 18 years of age. This on-site program will challenge female teens to explore new and innovative career paths, receive instruction on financial literacy, and violence prevention and intervention. An interactive curriculum will be offered along with extra-curricular activities to include, sports, health and fitness. Girls 12 to 18 years of age who are residents of New Hanover County, Brunswick & Pender County can apply.Go online to the Wilmington Police Department’s website, print off application, fillit out, and then drop off the completed application to the Wilmington Police Departmentfront desk. Or, come into the Wilmington Police Dept. front desk and request an application and turn it in once completed. Applications are due by Friday, November 30th.
When emergency responders reportedly arrived to give aid, the man was already dead.The man has been identified, but CBPD says the name will not be released until the next of kin has been notified.The official cause of death will be determined by the North Carolina Office of The Medical Examiners.Related Article: Get Santa to visit your home via firetruckNo foul play is suspected at this time.The investigation is still ongoing. Waves (Photo: WWAY) CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — The Carolina Beach Police Department says a good Samaritan pulled an unresponsive man from the surf Thursday night.Police say it happened shortly after 10 p.m. on Charlotte Avenue near the Carolina Beach Boardwalk.- Advertisement –
Advertisement After revealing Shift to WebKit, Opera Software is buying mobile video optimization and cloud solutions provider Skyfire Labs for about $155 million in cash and stock, the Oslo-based company announced today. The news comes a few days after after Opera revealed that it plans to transition its Web browsers to WebKit to increase competitiveness on Android and iOS. Skyfire will remain open as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Opera and will continue to develop and support the Skyfire browser.The press release by Opera said that the two companies “envision a powerful new set of joint products to be released over the coming year,” with a particular focus on Opera’s WebPass, which gives consumers the option of buying data plans such as an unlimited “day pass” for popular apps and Web sites at prices made affordable by video and data optimization. Opera believes that the product “can enable new business models for operators, such as toll free data, ad-supported data, and more.”“The market opportunity for video/media optimization solutions geared towards operators and consumers is significant. After a thorough evaluation of this market, we strongly believe Skyfire is the clear leader for the future in this space”, said Erik Harrell, CFO/CSO of Opera, in the statement. – Advertisement – Skyfire is known as the maker of Rocket Optimizer software, which allows mobile operators to leverage cloud computing and optimize video and multimedia on cell towers, including 3G and 4G LTE networks. The company says that Rocket Optimizer on average gives mobile networks a 60 percet boost in capacity by reducing the size of video and other multimedia to fit available bandwith, and detecting when specific users have connections that need assistance.“Skyfire adds capabilities to our portfolio around video, app optimization, smartphones and tablets, and strength in North America. With video expected to consume over two-thirds of global mobile bandwidth by 2015, and as time spent on Android and iOS apps explodes, we are excited to extend Opera’s solutions for operators,” said Opera CEO Lars Boilesen in the release.The deal is expected to close on March 15. Afterward, Jeffrey Glueck, CEO of Skyfire, will assume the role of EVP of the Operator Business for Opera, as well as CEO of Skyfire.Source: Tech Crunch
Advertisement A round of applause for the U.K.-made Raspberry Pi microcomputer — which has just passed the 5 million sales mark, some three years after it was first launched with the over-modest goal of selling “a few thousand” Pi over its entire lifetime, as creator Eben Upton has said. How wrong can you be, and how good must that feel?Having a tasty price-point — of $35 for the Model B Pi, and just $25 for Model A — has kindled remarkable interest in Pi-powered homebrew computing. Everything from DIY computers to robotics projects are being built with Pi at their core. Whole startup businesses have also found a use for a low cost credit card-sized microcomputer.The original Pi mission was about getting more U.K. schoolkids coding, and it’s making progress there. But Pi’s influence has spread far further — it’s proved especially popular in North America, according to Upton. The Foundation also recently launched a fully fledged sequel: the Pi 2, which is around 6x faster and has double the memory but retains the $35 price-point. – Advertisement – The Pi 2 makes a decent entry level PC that much cheaper. No surprise that Microsoft is keen to make sure Windows reaches the people Pi will be reaching, announcing it intends to offer Windows 10 to Pi devs for free. The launch of the Pi 2 also doubtless helped bump Pi’s overall sales figures past the 5M mark. At the start of this month overall sales were around 4.5M, with gen-one Pi sales clocking sales of around 200,000 per month.Tweeting its new sales milestone today, the Raspberry Pi Foundation suggested the Pi has now surpassed sales of iconic, U.K.-made home computers of the past — such as the Sinclair Spectrum and BBC Micro — which had themselves been an inspiration for the creation of Pi, having helped a generation of U.K. kids become coders.Source Techcrunch