Tag: 伴游网

A day in the life of Andrew Fairley

first_imgName: ANDREW FAIRLEYCompany: GREGGS, NORTH EAST Job title: 3rd YEAR APPRENTICE Location: GOSFORTH, NEWCASTLE6am I wake to my alarm clock, have a quick wash and leave home at 6.20am for the 12-mile journey to work. Arriving at the factory, I creak up the stairs in my motorbike leathers.6.50am Before my day starts, I enjoy a quick chill in the canteen and a bit of a chat with my mates, catching up with what’s been going on.7am I walk down to the technical department, where I currently work as part of my training programme, and start my working day by baking-off and testing savoury products from the previous shift’s production run.The ovens I use are convection, which are the same type used in our shops. This means any problems are easily identified before they can happen in the shops.Depending on what was produced the night before, I could be baking-off mini or jumbo sausage rolls, large and mini corned beef pasties or chicken bakes. Once baked, I check the following specifications: size, using Vernier callipers to ensure product is within agreed parameters; colour, checking quality and evenness of glaze; filling, including both distribution and colour; quality of seal, to avoid ‘boil-out’ of the filling; and weight, to ensure product is within agreed weight levels.The great thing about bake-off is I can test the products, thus saving money on breakfast. Any quality issues with samples are reported to the savoury department manager and the quality assurance manager, so that immediate action can be implemented, such as product recall or any technical or mechanical problems.7.30am Breakfast is usually a full English, but I do my body and soul some good by accompanying this with a pint of milk – or so I tell myself!8am I collect samples from around the bakery for microbiological testing. These are sent to our sister company at Balliol Park in Newcastle, where they have their own labs. Types of samples I collect can include: raw chicken, bacon or mince; cream, both whipped and un-whipped; custard; and egg glaze. These are all high-risk foods, which are sampled on a weekly basis to ensure no food is used or sent from our factory that could cause any potential harm to our customers. There is a rolling programme to ensure no food slips through undetected.I also have the job of doing personnel swabs, which include swabbing, at random, operators’ hands to ensure high levels of personal hygiene. I have a list of areas to cover, which include all production departments as well as the canteen staff.I also swab equipment, including mixer bowls, paddles, utensils, trays and hoppers to name a few. All swabs are sent away to our labs for testing and we receive the results within three days. Then, if time allows, I have a 20-minute break.10.20am Next comes the quality ring-around. As we have 115 shops, it would take forever to ring them all, so each shop has a base shop to which it can report any quality issues.Thankfully, I only have 11 shops to call, although I do have a laugh with the shop staff while making the calls. When on ring-around, any issues – both good and bad – are logged onto a report sheet if they occur more than five times. This report is then sent to the relevant management of Greggs, including the factory manager, sales manager and, of course, the production managers. I may also handle any customer complaints during the day, but these are usually few and far between. Any issues that require action are reported back to the technical department and monitored for repeat occurrences.12pm Time for a half-hour lunch break and I usually choose a healthy option – such as chips or beef burgers! Following that, I start to input some of the technical data into the technical department database. This includes the check-weigh results, the swabbing and sampling results, quality reporting and ensuring all paperwork is signed and dated.I then carry out a glass and clear plastic audit across a production department to ensure no contamination of our products, then type up the audit results and forward these to the chief engineer, hygiene and quality assurance departments, for any further action to be taken.An added advantage of working in the technical department is we can taste the samples produced from the new product development department.2.40pmMy final break, before completing another savoury bake-off procedure to ensure that, this time, the day shift’s products are up to scratch. I input data and findings into the computer to start the process all over again.4pmFinally leave for home. I’m usually quicker at getting ready for home than I am getting ready for work!last_img read more

April 21, 2021 0

Video of Long Islander Trying to Charge iPhone on Broadway Set Goes Viral

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Seaford man reached viral status this week when a cell phone video caught him in the act of brazenly climbing onto a Broadway stage to charge his dying iPhone.Nick Silvestri, 19, and his family were taking in Broadway’s “Hand of God” on July 2 when he crawled onto the set during the show and plugged his power-starved iPhone into an outlet that turned out to be fake. His unsuccessful attempt caused an immediate ruckus, shocking the audience and prompting security to intervene. A video of the episode posted on YouTube four days later with the title “Moron jumps on stage on Broadway to try and charge his phone in a fake outlet” has nearly a quarter of a million views.The Nassau County Community College student revealed in an interview with Playbill that he interrupted the show because his phone was running low on juice, not in response to a dare. He first got anxious at dinner, when he tried and failed to charge the phone at a nearby restaurant. Silvestri said they had enjoyed a few drinks and “were a little banged up.”“I was thinking that they were probably going to plug something in there on the set, and I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal if my phone was up there, too,” he told Playbill.After his attempt, Silvestri lobbied the security guards to let him retrieve his phone, Playbill reported. Instead, one of the guards grabbed it and took Silvestri back to his seat. They allowed him to remain for the rest of the show.His initial apology appeared to lack remorse.“Hey, I’m sorry if I delayed your show five minutes,” he told Playbill. “But you got a lot of attention from this, so maybe I made your show a little better [known].”Members of the cast were not amused by his antics–even if they inadvertently generated publicity for their production.The star of the show, Steven Boyer, told the New York Daily News that Silvestri’s distraction delayed the show by five minutes.The News and other city tabloids have reported that actors such as prize-winning Patti LuPone, a Northport native, have recently been going public to complain about irritating theatergoers sending text messages, glancing at their watches, and falling asleep during their performances. LuPone, without stepping out of character, saw a woman seated at the end of the second row texting on her phone, went into the audience and grabbed it from her before she could react. The woman had to wait until the performance was over to get it back from the stage manager. LuPone’s taking matters in her own hands prompted editorial praise at Newsday, the Daily News and the New York Post.Silvestri reportedly issued a formal apology to the cast on Friday. It’s not known whether he phoned it in.last_img read more

December 16, 2020 0