The January eruption of the Taal volcano, which forced the temporary closure of Manila’s main international airport, also took a toll. Chua said there would be more pain and the economy could further shrink in the second quarter.”The first quarter, I think, is still respectable given the very difficult environment that we are in. The second quarter might be worse,” he said.Growth in consumer spending, which is the Philippines’ key economic driver, slowed to just 0.2 percent during the period, hit by the closure of malls and shopping centres in areas under lockdown. Many areas in the Philippines have been under quarantine since mid-March, and will remain so until at least mid-May, to contain the spread of the virus, including Manila and surrounding areas where most economic activity takes place. “The current lockdown… will undoubtedly drag GDP deep into contraction as we see how destructive the enhanced community quarantine can be for the consumption-driven economy,” ING senior economist Nicholas Mapa said. But Chua added that the country could bounce back in the second half of the year as it gradually reopens businesses, adding: “With the progress that we are seeing on the health side, there is a very strong chance that we will have a good recovery.” The Philippines has detected more than 10,000 coronavirus cases and more than 600 people have died. Topics : The Philippine economy contracted for the first time in more than two decades during the first quarter, but officials warned Thursday that the worst was likely yet to come as the nation reels from the coronavirus pandemic. Gross domestic product shrank 0.2 percent in January-March, its worst performance since 1998 during the Asian financial crisis as the Philippines joins a long line of countries to report devastating figures as a result of widespread lockdowns that have shut down economies.”Containing the spread of the virus and saving hundreds of thousands of lives, though the imposition of the (quarantine) has come at great cost to the Philippine economy,” Economic Planning Acting Secretary Karl Chua said.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm Contact Jacob: [email protected] | @Jacob_Klinger_ Tim Lester is Syracuse’s offensive coordinator of the present and future, SU head coach Scott Shafer said in his Tuesday teleconference.Lester, who doubles as the team’s quarterbacks coach, was promoted to offensive coordinator on Saturday, Oct. 4 when wide receivers coach George McDonald was demoted from the play-calling post. Lester inherited an offense that was and remains without starting quarterback Terrel Hunt and has been struck by injuries across the offensive line and to standout receivers Ashton Broyld and Brisly Estime.“He’s adjusted to the players that we have,” Shafer said. “It’ll be an interesting week going into the Duke game because we have different looks going into this game that will present a whole different group of game-planning situations.”On Tuesday, Shafer assessed the job Lester’s done so far and confirmed that he plans to keep him in the role beyond the end of this season.“For me it’s midstream, so he’s fighting to work with the initial part of the offense,” Shafer said. “So when we get to the offseason his opportunity to rebuild things the way we see fit will be key. But he’s extremely bright and he played that position which I think helps the young quarterback, with AJ, as well as Austin and Mitch.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSaid Shafer, when asked to confirm Lester’s role: “Yes, Tim’s our offensive coordinator moving forward.” Comments