A pesticide used to kill varroamites in Georgia bee hives is also proving effective in killingsmall hive beetles.Varroa mites and small hive beetlesare major pests to bees and their keepers in Georgia. In lateJanuary, Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin granteda temporary clearance for beekeepers to use coumaphos, a pesticide,to fight them. However, beekeepers must remove honey from thecombs of coumaphos-treated hives.Important for GrowingCrops”Varroa mites and small hivebeetles are causing our honey bee population to dwindle,”Irvin said. “Honeybees play an important role in pollinatingmany fruits and vegetables and are responsible for pollinatingplants that account for approximately one-third of the food weeat.”The small hive beetle is a newpest, but varroa mites have been around for years.”We’ve been fighting varroamites since 1987,” said Keith Delaplane, an Extension Serviceentomologist with the University of Georgia College of Agriculturaland Environmental Sciences. “The recent problem is theirresistance to the old stand-by product we were using.”Delaplane said the new pesticideis being used for two reasons. “One is because the varroamites have become resistant to the current pesticide, apistan,”he said. “The other is to fight a new pest, the small hivebeetle.”Came to the U.S.in 1998The small hive beetle was unknownin the United States until its unexpected arrival in 1998. “Thatyear,” Delaplane said, “we found it in Georgia and inFlorida.”Both pests are harmful to beesand to beekeepers’ wallets.”The varroa mite is likea tick,” Delaplane said. “It attaches to the outsideof the bee and actually pierces into it. It’s broadly dispersedacross the state and is causing colonies to die all over Georgia.”The small hive beetle, on theother hand, is much less widely distributed, with concentrationsin south Georgia and several counties in metro Atlanta.”It’s a hive scavenger,”Delaplane said. “The larvae are carnivorous and eat immaturebees.”Hurt the Bees andEat the HoneyThey also eat honey. “Theygo tunneling through the combs and make a mess of everything,”he said. “Colonies that are severely infested will abandonthe nests, and the beekeeper comes back to find an empty box.”Delaplane said the beetles canlinger in colonies for weeks before causing damage. “Whenconditions are right, the larvae explode, and the colony comescrashing down,” he said.U.S.Department of Agriculture scientists had been looking for productsto control varroa mites, anticipating the day the current controlproduct would stop working, he said.A ‘Silver Bullet’for Both Pests”One of them, coumaphos,looked promising,” Delaplane said. “When the small hivebeetle showed up, they decided to try coumaphos on them, too.And it worked. So fortunately we got a silver bullet, so to speak,that works for both of our problems at once: the resistant mitesand the beetles.”Georgia has 75,000 bee coloniesand 2,000 hobby and commercial beekeepers. The industry generates$70 million each year in the state through sales of honey, beeswax,queen bees and package bees.”Georgia ranks 14th in thenation in honey production and second, behind California, in queenbee and packaged bee production,” Delaplane said. “Theseare bees that are shipped all to beekeepers over the world forstarting up colonies and for crop pollination. We dominate onthe east coast as a supplier of bees.”Searching for NonchemicalControlsDelaplane is doing his part tofight these pests. “My research focuses on alternative controlsthat are less chemically intense,” he said.Last summer, he tested a hivescreen that controls the varroa mites. “The screen createsa false floor in the bee hive,” he said. “When the mitesfall through the screen, they have trouble climbing back ontothe bees.”The screens were developed inFrance. Georgia beekeepers are now using them.
Mark Medina, Logan Murdock, Dieter Kurtenbach and Dan Brown were on the scene Tuesday night to sift through the details of the Kevin Durant-Draymond Green situation.Are these just friends and brothers who can hash it out and kiss and make up?Or are the threads of conflict too deep to get past and put this 3-peat machine back into gear?You can hear all of their thoughts on the complex issue via the player above or by going to iTunes, where you can subscribe to the Warriors HQ Podcast — and …
The Goa government has set up a three-member committee to review the findings of high-level panels formed earlier to identify private forest lands in the coastal state.The move comes after the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on August 8 imposed a fine of ₹10,000 per day from July 2019 on the State government, till it submits the report on private forest land.The Government, in a notification issued on August 24, said a three-member panel will have to review the findings of the Karapurkar and Sawant committees (set up earlier) and submit its report within three months on the exact quantum of private forest land existing in Goa. This is the second review committee formed by the State government. In April last year, the Government constituted a similar committee which reviewed reports of the Karapurkar and Sawant committees, identifying 42.12 sqkm of land in Goa as private forest. However, the BJP-led State government last month rejected that review panel’s report, claiming the “aggrieved people were not heard by the review committee“.In the notification issued last week, State undersecretary (Forest) Shaila Bhosle said, “The committee has been constituted to finalise the report on private forests submitted by the review committee, after considering the objections of the affected parties whose properties are going to be identified as private forests.” The committee should consider the objections of the affected parties and submit a report before the time limit prescribed by the NGT, she said. The NGT allowed a final extension of three months for submission of the report, subject to deposit of a performance guarantee of ₹1 crore to the satisfaction of the Central Pollution Control Board. Last month, the then state Forest Minister Vijai Sardesai said it was incorrect to be assumptive about demarcation of land as forest, and people should be consulted before finalising the report. He said many a times, a land owner is not even consulted or informed before his assets get marked as a private forest, depending on a survey. He said that the stratified random sampling method adopted for the survey was not acceptable as the actual position should be known before marking the forest.
QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Read Next Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics01:02Fajardo predicts there will be no sweep in PBA Finals00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netMeralco swingman Jared Dillinger goes for a reverse layup against Ginebra’s Japeth Aguilar. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netGinebra forward Japeth Aguilar skies for a layup as Meralco big man Reynel Hugnatan looks on. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMeralco head coach Norman Black reacts to a call. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMeralco import Allen Durham with an emphatic dunk. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra coach Tim Cone. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra guard Scottie Thompson shoots a jumper over Meralco point guard Baser Amer. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra celebrates after beating Meralco in Game 7 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra celebrates after beating Meralco in Game 7 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra celebrates after beating Meralco in Game 7 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra guards LA Tenorio and Jayjay Helterbrand share a moment during the Gin Kings’ celebration. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra guard Mark Caguioa. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra head coach Tim Cone gives the injured Sol Mercado a hug. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra import Justin Brownlee. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGinebra guard LA Tenorio receives his Finals MVP award. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netFEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Barangay Ginebra successfully defended its PBA Governors’ Cup title but not after holding off a resilient Meralco side in Game 7 before a record crowd of 54,086 at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.Veteran point guard LA Tenorio had a team-high 26 points and four assists and was awarded as the Finals MVP.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Bundit status as Ateneo volleyball coach in limbo View comments
Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Andray Blatche. Photo from Fiba.comShortly upon returning home Saturday, Chot Reyes and the rest of the Gilas Pilipinas coaching staff buckled down to work, dead set on identifying their flaws the night before to improve on a performance he described as a “six.”Reyes and his staff aren’t looking at Chinese Taipei yet, even with that game just two nights away, as they want to correct all the mistakes that came out in a scary 77-71 win over Japan in the first window of the Filipinos’ Fiba Asia 2019 World Cup Qualifying schedule in Tokyo.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Petron blazes past Iriga City in Batangas Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion One thing going for the Filipinos in the 7:30 p.m. match slated Monday at Smart Araneta Coliseum in Cubao is that the Taiwanese will be coming off an ego-deflating loss at about the same time Gilas was pulling out the win over Japan.Chinese Taipei suffered a 104-66 ripping at the hands of world power Australia, a new inclusion in the region after Fiba merged Asia and Oceania for this qualifying schedule.Australia torched the Taiwanese with a 62 percent clip from the field and 48 percent from three-point range, with starting forward Daniel Kickert hitting 3-for-5 from that range to finish with 15 points in just over 17 minutes.ADVERTISEMENT Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next “We’re still in the gym, viewing [Friday’s game’s] mistakes to correct them,” Reyes told the Inquirer via a text message. “After which, we talk of Taiwan.”The Filipinos bungled first half control over the Japanese at Komazawa Olympic gym and trailed in the third period before hammering out the win.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Filipinos got the goods from Jason Castro and Andray Blatche in the stretch to survive, something Gilas cannot do against the Taiwanese, a team that has had more success of late against Gilas compared to Japan.Team Philippines hasn’t lost to Japan since 2004, while Taipei defeated Gilas in 2013 during the Fiba Asia World Cup qualifiers at Mall of Asia Arena. Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA View comments
Twitter/@BleacherReportMidway through the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Big 12 showdown between Baylor and Oklahoma, Bears safety Terrell Burt went down with what Kirk Herbstreit, on air, called a “bush league” flop. As it turns out, Burt’s injury was legit, and Herbstreit later apologized for his comments on Twitter. Today, Burt took to the platform, and made sure to let everyone know that he’d do something like that.I will never ever fake an injury. I will always fight for my brothers and give them my all regardless. #BaylorNation #lionhearted— Terrell Burt (@terrell_burt_13) November 16, 2015Burt had reportedly been injured on a prior play, but did not want to come out of the game, so teammate Ryan Reid had to tell him to go down to receive treatment.
Users of the Hagley Park Health Centre in South West St. Andrew are hailing the reopening of the refurbished facility, which has been closed since 2015.The centre, which serves approximately 27,000 residents in 14 communities, was renovated at a cost of $42 million and now boasts new and improved features such as covered walkways and awnings, new sanitary facilities, air conditioning, fire-safety features, and access for disabled persons.Some of the communities served by the centre include Olympic Way, Waltham Park Road, Seivwright Gardens, York Avenue, White Wing, Majesty Gardens, Hagley Park Road, Delacree Park and Seaview Gardens.In an interview with JIS News following the official reopening ceremony on July 4, community member, Nicole Tallo, said the renovated facility is more comfortable for persons who need healthcare.“The facility wasn’t that nice, but the renovation is very nice right now. Before the renovation, the bathroom was not so nice. Now it’s very good,” she says.Ms. Tallo says that prior to the reopening, she had to travel much farther to access healthcare services.She expresses gratitude to the stakeholders who were integral in completing the project. “We thank them for doing this for the community,” she tells JIS News.For her part, Senior Public Health Nurse, Charmaine Vassell Shettlewood, who used the facility as a child, says she is pleased with the renovation work.Mrs. Vassell Shettlewood, who was also a member of staff at the facility in 2009, tells JIS News that the improvement will boost the inpatient experience and overall service delivery.In his address, Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, said the Type Three facility, which offers a range of healthcare, as well as pharmacy services, will allow community members to “access good public healthcare at the primary level”.“You will get medication more promptly, and that’s important, because waiting time is a challenge in the system and we are trying to correct that by offering more options under the NHF [National Health Fund] programme,” he said.Dr. Tufton urged community members to utilise the services at the facility instead of hospitals, which are usually located farther.He encouraged Jamaicans to adopt healthy lifestyle practices and focus on a preventative approach to health, rather than a curative approach.Stressing the importance of improved health facilities for both the patients and medical staff, former Prime Minister and Member of Parliament for the area, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, said it will allow the staff to be in a better position to treat more patients.“They will have more comfortable workspaces, which will positively impact their output,” she said.Mrs. Simpson Miller urged the community members to protect the facility. “It is here to serve you the citizens of this community and surrounding areas. You have a responsibility to protect it, watch it and ensure that it is not vandalised. Please ensure that you help to keep it in excellent condition,” she said.Chief Executive Officer, NHF, Everton Anderson, said the Fund is involved in partnering with all stakeholders to improve healthcare in Jamaica.“Whether it be through our pharmacies, through our individual benefits programme, we recognise that for health to improve, it has to be a partnership,” he said.He pointed out that in a few months, the Fund will be moving to provide a world-class pharmacy service at the health centre.“Our Senior Vice-President has toured the pharmacy and is… working with the community to ensure that every patient gets their prescription filled promptly at this health centre,” he said.In her remarks, Regional Director, South East Regional Health Authority, Maureen Golding, said the facility has been serving the communities for more than 50 years.She noted that all primary-healthcare facilities across the region will be upgraded and renovated on a phased basis. “This is the third healthcare facility that has been completed over the last 12 months,” she said.The project was financed through the NHF. Ground was broken for the renovation works in February 2015.The facility provides mental health, child health, medical/curative, pharmaceutical, dental and maternity services. The centre, which serves approximately 27,000 residents in 14 communities, was renovated at a cost of $42 million and now boasts new and improved features such as covered walkways and awnings, new sanitary facilities, air conditioning, fire-safety features, and access for disabled persons. Story Highlights In his address, Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, said the Type Three facility, which offers a range of healthcare, as well as pharmacy services, will allow community members to “access good public healthcare at the primary level”. Users of the Hagley Park Health Centre in South West St. Andrew are hailing the reopening of the refurbished facility, which has been closed since 2015.